Aquila AQ86U Red Low G Concert Ukulele String Set
The RED SERIES sets give a unique look and a strong, consistent sound.
Until recently, it was necessary to increase a string's gauge to reach lower frequencies. But increasing the string's diameter also increases internal dampening. That makes the string less bright, less responsive and more muffled; the thicker the string, the duller the sound.
Aquila's revolutionary new approach, unique to us, changes the specific weight of the material, increasing it progressively to leave the gauge with fewer changes. Who never dreamed of tuning the ukulele in low G without using a fourth wound string type?
As well affecting the overall sound quality of the ukulele, wound strings introduce a variety of other problems:
a shorter lifetime than the treble strings, sound power that is too bright and intrusive compared to the plastic treble strings, excessive sustain, noise caused by the fingers of the left hand, rapid oxidation of the metal wire caused by the acidity of the sweat. The only alternative solution used today is the use of a flurocarbon string.
It's performance, however, is never entirely satisfactory as for a low string to be really good, it must not only use materials of a high density but also some flexibility and fluorocarbon is unfortunately a very stiff material.
Density is in fact the secret of quality sound in a low string and we are happy to announce that we managed to overcome this difficult technological challenge (tried by many others but without success). Unwound fourth strings now finally exist!
Now, with our new RED SERIES strings you can finally tune your ukulele to Low G with the certainty of powerful sound quality and a superior intonation across the frets that is fully integrated with that of the upper treble strings.
- The technical solution adopted was firstly to make the Nylgut elastic and then add red copper powder in order to increase the density to about twice that of standard white Nylgut.
- Surface is slightly rough; this texture has eliminated the squeak that sometime occurs with the Nylgut strings. Elasticity/Elongation is consistent with white Nylgut! Performances are better than the first elastic version! They do not break under tension providing rapid, stable tuning!
- Intonation is accurate past the 12th fret. Pressing the string firmly down on the frets does not cause the note to sharpen.
- It is not necessary to file the nut slot wider to accommodate our RED SERIES string, as was necessary with the previous fluorocarbon G strings.
- Density is about twice than standard white Nylgut.